Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Tribute to My Mom




Wow, it's been 10 years ago tomorrow (9/3) since my mom passed away. Every year since then, I've made my favorite applesauce raisin cookies that she used to make and taken them to people who mean a lot to me. Growing up we always he homemade cookies. I remember coming home many afternoons to the smell of hot cookies she had just made for us. I also buy myself a dozen roses and put them on the kitchen table for the week. We had roses all over our yard. They were some of the most gorgeous roses I've ever seen. If you get to see my yard in real life, just remember that I DID NOT inherit Vern and Erma's green thumb. Getting roses helps me remember some neat memories of my mom. She was a very humble women who quietly served her family and those around her. I miss her- especially this time of year. I love you mom.

4 comments:

Lorena said...

That was so sweet...what a great tradition!

(Oh, and I'm not offended that we didn't get any cookies!)

:)

Old Pa said...

Wow, what a great idea Lisa. It made me cry a little bit though. I never et to make those cookies because Scott doesn't like them, but maybe I will and give some away today--I could use some "good vibes" in my life right now.
Julie

Christy said...

this made me cry, I miss her too. I was just thinking of her yesterday when I can across the picture that hung in their bathroom forever, the Spencer W Kimball quote one about families. I just couldn't get rid of it. I make snowball cookies this time of year too. C

The Weights said...

I never got to thank you for the cookies and NOW, I know how very extra special they were!!! What a sweet tribute to your mom! But I can also tell you that every day of your life is a tribute to your mom- and the amazing daughter that she raised- who finds a way to serve and love so many people around her, even if things are busy and crazy in her life!! (sorry for the run-on sentence!) You are amazing and I truly value our friendship!